Prev: Re: Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) Next: Re: Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers)

Re: Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers)

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 01:41:05 GMT
Subject: Re: Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers)

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998 15:59:50 -0500, Thomas Barclay
<Thomas.Barclay@sofkin.ca> wrote:

>Space is NOT emptier than southern Saskatchewan. I've been there. If
>you look in the dictionary under 'empty', that is what you see.

Yes, but space is curved while Saskatchewan is flat. Isn't
Saskatchewan's motto: Can't Die from Falling?

>The more we
>make microprocessors capable of, the more practical even brute force
>solutions are, and there is no reason that in the future one cannot
>conceive of a fighter capable of outflying a human ace (the human
>with all his intuition etc. still follows subconscious patterns which
>can be evaluated and acted on) and a good AI with a good 'brain'
>could easily best the human in thought, and definitely in reflex or
>capability to take Gs. (Humans can take about 9 in suits.... a
>computer can probably take 40Gs .... that makes up for a lot of
>skill).

Thank you!

>HOWEVER, that might not be interesting for our gaming purposes, and
>we're here (or wherever) to have fun (I'd guess) and not to predict
>the future and live it.

Which is the reason I came up with the interference reason for not
putting computers on a fighter. I've been working on an SF background
of my own which has entirely DIFFERENT reasons for putting
humans--instead of AI--in combat situations.

But if Jon comes back with, "I like humans in fighters. No reason, I
just like it. Live with it," I'll mutter under my breath and just
skirt the issue if it comes up.

Allan Goodall	     agoodall@sympatico.ca

"Once again, the half time score,
 Alien Overlords: 142,000. Scotland: zip."
  - This Hour Has 22 Minutes

Prev: Re: Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers) Next: Re: Some FT background stuff (guidelines for writers)