Prev: Re: SG II House Rules - longish post Next: Old GZG Resin Stuff

Re: SG II House Rules - longish post

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 1998 17:52:45 -0500
Subject: Re: SG II House Rules - longish post

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> When I heard how much kit the famed Bravo Two Zero supposedly carried
> (and I don't doubt it), I realized I (as a reservist) would not
> probably be able to move under that load (least not for the duration
> of normal movement). 80 lbs. of kit is a heck of a lot to hump about
> on a regular basis. I don't like carrying 45-55 lbs, let alone 80+.
> It's a pretty good justification for ammo rules too.

Actually don't feel bad, they couldn't move underneath all that stuff
either
and ditched it as soon as they got in trouble. Special Operations Forces
can
sometimes fall under the "we can do anything and we can carry any wait
and we
are invincible mindset." This manifests itself first off in accepting
missions
beyond the capacity of resources at hand. (as in B20), Allowing  an
operation
to be monkeyed with by outsiders until it's impossible to accomlish. (as
in
the Seal hit on Torrido<sp?> airbase in Panama), or acciepting a mission
byond
the physical capabilities of the team (such as the seal drowning due to
their
jump into rough seas off of Grenada. Then you get the we'll muddle
through" no
matter what types when stuff doesn't look right. (again B20 in
particular with
their shoddy communications equipment preparations).

> I met some Canadian SSF guys, and one or two US Spec Forces in my
> time (and even a SAS Sgt.) - I have absolutely no desire to call that
> feeling foolish - when you're that well trained, that experienced,
> and that *select*, you may not be invincible, but you sure are a hell
> of a lot more dangerous and more survivable than your average ground
> pounder...

This is absolutely true. However I'll relate a story concerning body
armor,.
We (not my team but another)  had a team sergeant killed in Haiti. They
stoopped a vehicle that had a coupel of suspected Haitians in it. He
just
assumed becasue they were crappy littel Haitains that they couldn't hurt
him
and failed to take the necessary precaustions when pulling them out of
the
vehicle. Low and behold one whips out a .357 and shoots him in the
chest. A
number of things went wrongg with hat stop but it does boil dwon to A:
Not
wearing the body armor that woud stopped that round no problem and B.
just
being lazy and underestimating the enemy.

I'm as guilty of it as the next and almost never wore body armor (except
noone
preplanned door kicker that we went on). Even when we were busting up
riots
and mobs where there was four of us and 500 of them. Stupid when you
thing
back on it, but somethimes projecting the absolute certainty that you
will
kill anyone who blinks at you the wrong way works as well as a ton of
body
armor in stopping trouble.

> react, etc. but a lot of times the part-time soldiers like the
> reserves or conscripts (and to a lesser extent the reg forces) are
> just not on the ball all the time - they're too preoccupied with
> their aching feet, sore back, wet head, the awful god forsaken
> sergeant, etc. etc.

To be honest with you though all soldiers will eventually get like this
as
tehy wear out even SAS/ SF or whatever. It just takes longer to happen,
and an
SF team needs to plan that fatigue factor into their time required for
ingress/egress so they stay fresh.

> Now, how to put that into a game context?
> - one suggestion was a reaction roll to go IP before fire is resolved
> - another suggestion was a mod to range die based on unit quality

Those are probably a good start.

BTW, I strongly urge anyone who hasnt seen this to go here and read an
an
outstanding net article on the Somalia raid/firefight
http://www3.phillynews.com/packages/somalia/nov16/default16.asp
Los

Prev: Re: SG II House Rules - longish post Next: Old GZG Resin Stuff