Prev: Re: Earthforce Sourcebook Question for Jon Next: RE: Earthforce Sourcebook Question for Jon

Re: Earthforce Sourcebook Question for Jon

From: Roger Gerrish <Roger.Gerrish@b...>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 21:15:18 +0000
Subject: Re: Earthforce Sourcebook Question for Jon

Imre A. Szabo wrote:

> Jon, CE did it right.  You're wrong in MT for making fighters move
> before ships.  Why???  How agile is a ship?	How agile is a fighter?
> Get the picture?  Fighters are fighters because they are so fast and
> agile that they operate inside the descion loop of starships.

Imre, it seems your observations are not based on game play or balance,
but, are rather based on your conception of what 'Space Fighters'
actually represent. That concept is of course supported by much of the
genre.....Star Wars, Battlestar Galactia, SAAB etc....etc....but just
how realistic or valid representations do you think they are?.

The fighters in Full Thrust don't necessarily represent those popular
conceptions, so when Jon, (based on a lot of player input) changed the
sequence of play in MT to help tone down the effect of fighters, he
wasn't 'breaking' any laws regarding what Space Fighters can or can't do
(I mean they don't really exist....do they?)

However if your conception of the B5 universe means that you prefer the
CE sequence of play then more power to you.
I have played FT now for many years and I have played a lot of	EFSB
spaceship combat over the last couple of months.
I have used both sequences of play and I can say IMHO (and the rest of
my gaming group) that the MT sequence provides a much more challenging
game.

If you haven't given it a try, then suspend your disbelief and do so,
I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

Regards.................Roger