Prev: Re: Unofficial GZG Fiction Next: RE: Unofficial GZG Fiction

Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS

From: jfoster@k... (Jim 'Jiji' Foster)
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 23:44:15 -0600
Subject: Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS

At 20:55 1/31/98, Tony Christney wrote:

>This idea I like! It makes sense "scientifically", keeps it simple,
>and doesn't force any major rules changes. The only problem would
>be in the logic of the mirror/gimbal idea. This works fine for
>supermarket style ruby-red lasers, but wouldn't have a chance with
>lasers that don't reflect off of mirrors...

Well, so I'm a bit weak on high-energy laser theory...short folded tube,
solid state lasing unit, whatever. I'll leave the details to those more
scientifically minded. :)

>>Two possibilities: some sort of cost multiplier to a standard ADS to
give
>>it HEL range potentials, or an (expensive) sensor suite attached to
any HEL
>>equipped vehichle that would allow using the main gun to target
aircraft/
>>high-VTOLs.
>
>IMHO, the first option would be the only way to go. The second
>option would change game balance _way_ too much. Imagine a force of
tanks
>armed exclusively with class 5 anti-aircraft capable HELs. No aircraft
>would survive past turn one! In fact, such a weapon would be so
>deadly that I doubt aircraft would exist on such a battlefield.

Well, I guess I imagined that a) it would be so expensive that it would
be
tough to make more than one or two tanks in a company ADS capable and b)
the class of laser wouldn't make a difference (just use standard ADS
damage.)

>>I'm assuming the to-hit procedure and damamge would not change, the
expense
>>of the HEL system would be soley for increased range. Optional: keep
the
>>price of the HEL-ADS the same as standard ADS, but use HEL damage
>>procedures: red chits only.
>
>Again I would have to go with the first idea. How about the following
>(for starters 150% cost):
>
>BASIC = 300
>ENH   = 450
>SUP   = 600

Sounds good to me. So be it! :)

>>Random thoughts late at night... take or discard as you will.
>
>Must be student. Who else is writing email at four in the
>morning!?!

Eh? That time stamp must be something generated by the list server...I
wrote that last at just shy of 10PM local...

------
Jim 'Jiji' Foster / jfoster@kansas.net / Jiji @ AnimeMUCK / TIP #28

"That's the way we all begin," said Tom Platt. "The boys they make
believe
all the time till they've cheated 'emselves into bein' men, an' so till
they die--pretendin' and pretendin'."
    Rudyard Kipling, _Captains Courageous_

Prev: Re: Unofficial GZG Fiction Next: RE: Unofficial GZG Fiction