Prev: Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS Next: Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS

Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 18:10:48 +0000
Subject: Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS

>At 18:55 29/01/98 -0600, you wrote:
>>Ward Bowman wrote:
>>

>>>   I would think that HAWK and Patriot are still relatively close to
the
>>> forward area.  Things like THAAD (Theater High Altitude Air Defense)
>>> would more in the area you are mentioning.
>>
>>I don't think so.  When I was a 24T (Pat. crewman) at any rate we were
>>supposed to be in the "Corp" area.
>SNIP
>>Patriot is designed for nailing A/C at over 40K range.  If short range
>>field artillery is allowed to be off board in DSII then some form of
ADA
>>should also be off board.
>>
>>For that matter, Nike Herc (what Patriot replaced) had a range of over
>>100K.
>>
>>J. Michael Looney
>>(former duck hunter for the US Army)
>
>How about something along the lines of the air superiority
determination in
>WRGs 1925-50 rules?  Each side spends a number of points to buy a
hoped-for
>level of control of the air (Dispute, Obtain and Ensure AS are 3 levels
>recall off-hand).  Whenever the opposition has aircraft on table (in
DSII
>terms, Aerospace or VTOLs in High mode), the player attempts an
intercept,
>modified by their AS level to try a fighter attack on the opposing
aircraft.
>For DSII, this could be a FMA opposed roll, and could represent in
abstract
>the whole top level air defence umbrella (i.e. interceptors as well as
SAMs
>and heavy AA lasers).
>
>Rob
>
>"Rob Paul

This is very much what the "Air Defence Environment" rules in Stargrunt
II
are intended for - an abstract layer of defences that air units must
penetrate before entering the table area; they could probably be
effectively modified to represent the higher-level air defences in a
DSII
game (don't have much time to work out the exact mechanics right now,
but
this may get some of you thinking....).

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS Next: Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS