Prev: GZG - East Coast Convention Next: Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS

Re: Stargrunt II question

From: Ward Bowman <bowman@m...>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 13:33:13 -0500
Subject: Re: Stargrunt II question

Glover, Owen wrote:

> "Real life" can really play tricks on you sometimes! A lot of military
> doctrine will have you engaging the enemy at maximum range if you are
in
> defence, but waiting for close range in the attack (you use the
> artillery or other fire support to suppress him until you get to close
> range). Other considerations of course include maintaining concealment
> for surprise eg the ambush.
>
> Personally, I generally engage as soon as I have a target; seize and
> then maintain the initiative.
>
> Owen G

  I guess the answer would be what type of mission are you running.

  If you are doing an attack, suppressing the enemy with one element
while bringing another element to attack the suppressed element works
good.  This uses the bounding technique where units subdivide and
portions provide suppressive fire while other portions move to
posistion.

  If you are doing an ambush or are in the defence, then waiting till
the enemy has entered the kill zone  (area of most concentrated fire) is
more effective.  You wouldn't want to fire to early, and give away your
positions.  That would allow the enemy to manuver out of your kill
zone.

  In a hasty defence you might want to attack at range to disrupt the
attacking elements momentum.  By dropping several elements you might
slow, stop or divert the attacking element.  Suppression by fire is a
good  way of slowing, or splitting an attack.

Ward

--
mailto:bowman@mediaone.net

the fear of insanity is an unfortunate display of self importance
    - e e cummings

Prev: GZG - East Coast Convention Next: Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS