Prev: Re: (Off Topic) THANK GOD FOR GAMER GIRLS!!!!! Next: Re: Age and Complexity

Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 11:45:51 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: DS2 VTOL vs ADS

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Rick Rutherford wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Ground Zero Games wrote:
> > Agreed, this is a bug that we need to fix. Opinions on how, anyone?
Would
> > simply allowing anti-air systems to engage VTOLs if they are in HIGH
mode
> > do the trick, or would it be too lethal for the VTOLs for game
balance?

> > Player input gratefully received!

This would, I think, be too lethal and unbalancing. One ADS vehicle in
the
middle of the table could ruin the day of ANY Vtol, anywhere on-table.
W/
limited range, the question becomes one of "What _must_ I protect w/ my
one ADS? do I deploy it forward to protect my heavy armour, or to the
rear
to defend my artillery/HQ?"

More strategic/tactical thinking is therefore required...a good thing,
in
my book.

> Why not allow the anti-air system to be used in two different
ways: >
> 1) "sweep mode" -- this is the way the ADS currently works.
> The ADS is sweeping the skies for targets, and can defend against
> multiple attackers.
>
> 2) "targeting mode" -- the ADS can only engage one (or two?) targets
per
> turn, but the range of the defense is doubled (72").

This sounds cool. Either take your sensor power and spread it out to
cover
360^ and engage multiply attackers at lesser range, or focus your
sensors
to swat that Vtol you _have_ to kill, risking other units...

Maybe not doubled range, tho. 72" is 6', which is clear across most
tables
I've played on, or very close to it. OTOH, doubling range keeps the math
simpler. All range bands simply double along with it, saving mucking
about
w/ fractions, etc

To answer another poster's question regarding Zone Air Defense (ZAD)
being
covered by ADS - they're the exact same system, operating in either
short-range anti-missle mode or long-range anti-aircraft mode. (12" and
36" respectively)...

Just my $0.02...

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)

Prev: Re: (Off Topic) THANK GOD FOR GAMER GIRLS!!!!! Next: Re: Age and Complexity