Prev: FT "Worldbooks" Next: Re: SG2 Vehicle Questions

Re: No Good Guys? (Re: ATTN Jon T: Free CalTex Government and Society?)

From: Gary Kett <gkett@a...>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 23:07:02 -0500
Subject: Re: No Good Guys? (Re: ATTN Jon T: Free CalTex Government and Society?)

You know something... This is just an observation mind you, but the
>idea of "no-good-guys" seems to be the trend in game background writing
>these days. (e.g. WH40K, Heavy Gear, Warzone and quite a few other
games
>out on the market.)  Have we become so cynical and so pesimistic that
we
>no longer desire for real heros and obvious villians for the modern
>myths we weave?  If so, why are we like this.
>--
>Later,
>Mark A. Siefert

You are correct, there are very few games systems that put forth the
"good-guy" ideal. Perhaps this is due to the better understanding of
history. In all wars, terrible acts have always been committed by both
sides. There are no exceptions to this. The scale may be different and
the
reason, but they still occurred. One problem, is that people seem to be
constantly shocked when atrocities occur in warzones. They have always
happened, and most likely will continue to happen. Although Western
nations
like to think they were/are the "White knights" of warfare, it too was
often
rusted and dirty in many places. We are allowed a greater understanding
(through more indepth study of history) of what mankind is willing to do
each other under certain conditions. I must admit that I too am a person
who
seldom sees the True Blue Good Guy from the fairy tales. My studies in
history has been the greatest influence to this idea. I think that
people
try to make the games they play, as close to reality as is possible for
fictional game. Therefore, they implace their impressions of people and
soceity (often bad ones) into their worlds. this helps them appear more
realistic. So there's my limited to view on this. Maybe it would be
better
if we did get back to games that offered kinder world like "Star Wars"
with
an obvious "Evil" enemy. Maybe not.
				Gary

Prev: FT "Worldbooks" Next: Re: SG2 Vehicle Questions