Prev: Re: Age and Complexity Next: Re: Age and Complexity

Re: Remembering Metagames' Microgames (was Re: Age and Complexity)

From: Winchell Chung <nyrath@c...>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 20:49:31 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Remembering Metagames' Microgames (was Re: Age and Complexity)

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Morgan Keyes wrote:

> Outpost Omega and Grav Armor (from the defunct Dwarfstar(?) Games),and

	Grav armor! Now *there's* a classic.  I briefly
	had Arnold Hendrik for a boss, at Avalon Hill.

	What I found remarkable about Grav Armor was how the
	terrain table dictated the game.

	The scenario set on a Mercury like planet was a
	shooting gallery. If your tanks ventured out of
	the mountains into the plains, they were shot
	to pieces one nano-jiffy latter by enemy units
	on the far side of the map.

	The scenario set on a Venus like planet was
	hide and go seek in a London fog.  You had to
	be practically touching an enemy tank in order to
	hit it.

	It was like several games in one.  Lots of value
	for your buck.

	Star Viking by Dwarfstar was another goodie.
	Each solar system was represented by a tile that
	had the various planets and orbits marked out.
	The system of moving from spot to spot was
	abstract but believable and designed for fast play.

--
      * A B S I T * I N V I D I A * V E R B O ** I D E M * S O N A N S *

-----+
http://www.clark.net/pub/nyrath/home.html |
nyrath@clark.net |
|  /_\	| Any sufficiently advanced magick is indistinguishable from
    |
| <(*)> | technology.

|/_/|\_\|

| //|\\ |

-----+

Prev: Re: Age and Complexity Next: Re: Age and Complexity