Prev: Re: Introductions (was: Age and Complexity) AND scratchbuilding ideas? Next: NOT Age and Complexity

RE: An idea for spotters for snipers

From: Gary Kett <gkett@a...>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 16:21:26 -0500
Subject: RE: An idea for spotters for snipers

At 11:50 AM 15/07/98 +1000, Glover, Owen wrote:

>Hi all, this is what I like, more discussion.
>
>OK, I'm trying to give the observations on Sniper teams relevance to
>Stargrunt. As I mentioned before, the No2 Sniper may today carry an
M203
>or some such to provide a little heavier firepower for teh team. In
2180
>the average assault rifle often has a GL attached. I'm suggesting that
>therefore the No2 will need something a little 'oompier'. Regarding the
>bulk of a radio; well 'everyone' has a tac/sat linked radio.

Hmmm...As a new person in the Star Grunt world, I lack a substantial
amount
of background knowledge of the game. On the matter of tech, it is easy
speculate  that such and such will be smaller, lighter, and more
effective
than today's examples. It could be possible, that a sniper team need not
even be in the area when the shot is taken. A very small remote weapon
(laser,projectile, etc) could be emplaced, and the sniper simply take
the
shot through a computer targeting system from a concealed hide miles
away.
Who knows. I guess it all depends of the tech level of your world, or
how
much people wish to use present day ideas of how ground combat is fought
continue into the future.

>If we are going to say that the No2 is carrying a scoped rifle then I'd
>probably be arming the No1 with a Conventional or Gauss, and give the
>No2 a Laser rifle. Different FP and Impact but useful in different
>circumstances. Quineg?

The use of two different weapon systems does make alot of sense. Should
conditions be less than ideal for one, then the other can be used. It is
also likely, that almost all future military weapons will have some type
of
optic on them. Presently, several western armies have placed scopes on
their
weapons as a standard piece of kit. Most are 3Xpower which actually do
bring
man sized targets as far as 500m into a fair amount of clairity. I would
imagine, future sniper weapons could snipe far beyond the present day
limitations placed upon the sniper and his rifle. Appearently, Carlos
Hathcock had a confirmed hit at 2,500 yards with a M-2 50cal MG in
Veitnam.
(No doubt, all those who are interested in sniping have heard of this
incredable deed and it's amazing authour) Such a shot was unimaginable
for
it's time, but will it be so in 2180? Or will it be the standard range?
YA
NEZ NIE YOU!

					Gary

Prev: Re: Introductions (was: Age and Complexity) AND scratchbuilding ideas? Next: NOT Age and Complexity