Prev: Re: Re[2]: Stargrunt II question - Linear cover Next: Re: Complexity/Campaigns

Re: Re-scaling question (Stargrunt)

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 22:04:00 +0000
Subject: Re: Re-scaling question (Stargrunt)

>I'm planning on running some games using Stargrunt II and a lot of my
>W40K, Grenadier Dark Future, and a few Champions miniatures.  I already
>have them, and I've accumulated a lot of buildings, vehicles, and
>terrain in the same scale.
>
>The problem is that scale is about 28mm ('O' scale for train people),
>not the 20-25mm that Stargrunt II is intended for.  That might not seem
>like a big difference, but I think the 'official' Stargrunt minis are
>closer to 1/72 scale than 1/54 (25mm), and most of my minis are 1/43.

As a rule-of-thumb, we usually reckon on our figures being approx. 1/60
scale; "25mm" has become a rather flexible designation in recent
years....
:)

>The upshot of all this is that with such large miniatures, a range band
>of 6" for Green troops is going to result in troops that are almost
>standing next to each other who can't hit each other.
>
>Does anyone have any suggestions on re-scaling the movement rates and
>range bands to account for this?  I'm thinking maybe multiplying
>everything by about 1.5 would fix it, but I was wondering whether
anyone
>else had tried anything like this and could lend me the benefit of
their
>experience.

Remember that the ground scale is very different to the figure scale in
any
case, by a factor of approx. 5:1. By all means try a 1.5x multiplier and
see how it works, though this may give rather long ranges unless you
have a
big table (or use plenty of cover and terrain to limit sight lines).
That
aside, we quite often base figures (ours and other makes) on approx. 1"
diameter bases anyway, so their "effective" size (ie: space taken on the
table) is the same as GW-style stuff anyway. Most of the figs in the
SGII
rulebook photos are on 1" bases.
Our current drafts of FMA (the man-to-man skirmish system using the same
mechanisms as SGII) use a groundscale of 1" to 2 metres, which is as
near
to 1:1 ground-to-figure scale as makes no difference - thus all the
terrain
on the table is "true" size to the figures, which is more important when
you're doing things like urban street fights than the "open battlefield"
stuff of SGII. Thus in FMA, if two figures are base-to-base then they
are
REALLY at arm's length, not still (up to) 10m apart!

Jon (GZG)

Prev: Re: Re[2]: Stargrunt II question - Linear cover Next: Re: Complexity/Campaigns