Prev: Re: Complexity/Campaigns Next: Re: Laserburn Minis

Re: Some FT rules ideas(Longish)

From: Thomas Heaney <Thomas@k...>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 16:30:42 +0000
Subject: Re: Some FT rules ideas(Longish)

In article <Pine.OSF.3.95.980121143546.16356A-
100000@ccins.camosun.bc.ca>, Brian Burger <burger00@camosun.bc.ca>
writes
>I remember reading, a few years back, of an Anti-Radiation Cruise
Missle
>that would, if it's target ceased radiating, loiter in the area waiting
>for the radar to be turned back on again to look for the missle...it's
>neat idea: ARM incoming. Switch off radar. ARM can't destroy radar,
radar
>can't see strike aircraft/second wave of missles incoming. If radar
lights
>up to look, loitering ARM turns it off again...permenently...
>
>This would require missles w/ greater fuel capacity than most
have...some
>sort of Tomahawk-mod, in modern terms. In space, no feul is needed to
>loiter, really, so the missle makes even more sense...deadly, tho...I
can
>see people not liking them...

The idea for allowing the missile to loiter came from the British ALARM
missile.  The ALARM can do this by shooting up to 20,000 ft the
deploying a parachute and then searching for a radiation source.

However, an anti radiation missile sitting in space waiting for a target
would be easy prey for *DAF, C batteries and fighters.(or if you wanted
to be really sure, you could fire a nova cannon at it:) ).

>>     -Yes, missiles can switch targets. However, there are two
situations
>> envolved in this; one is the missile is fired blind, and the firer
prays
>> that the missile hits what it was aimed at yet knowing that the
missile
>> might stray off for a more powerful radiation source. On the other
hand to
>> ensure that the missile does strike its target it should be programed
with
>> say 4 targets should it lose tracking on its first objective.
>>
>>		   Paladin
>
>This missle I read about was either in PopSci or PopMech mags, and I
don't
>know whether it was merely a paper concept or what...just paper, I
>suspect, as I've heard nothing since...

The US HARM missile can be fired to do something like this, although I
can't find my Harpoon data annex to find out for sure.
--
Thomas Heaney

Prev: Re: Complexity/Campaigns Next: Re: Laserburn Minis