Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku ship diagram GIF's Next: Re: Age and Complexity

Re: Age and Complexity

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 15:24:03 -0800
Subject: Re: Age and Complexity

Well I'm Carlos Lourenco, married with a four month old son, BUT I have
a number of young godchildren, nephews blah blah. It's funny one who is
8, I played a little computer battletech with once. then He saw my mini
collection and I gave hiim a quick overview of how games are played. For
his birthday I gave him two boxes of Tamaya 1/72d scale WW2 infantry
that I hand painted (Germans and US). At Christmas, as he was leaving
for home, I gave him a painted Ultramarine. So then last week I'm
talking to his Mom on the phone. He won't go anywhere without his
Ultramarine. He's showing his friends.

"Man look at the detail on this space marine! It even has grass. My
Uncle Carlos made it! He's realy cool. He's 37 but can relate and think
like an 8 year old. (Geez don' know if that's a compliment or not <g>).
And money is No object!" (well I don't know about that.)

Anyway he had a friend over and these two 8 year olds had made up their
own wargame with all their toy soldiers. You role one D6 and the number
is how many guys of the enemy you get to kill. Wow hows that for simple.
Of course I right away sent him a page of suggested erratta.

I play some boardgames too, mostly either ASL or some Clash of Arms
Napoleanic games. I also do Napoleanic minis, Epic, FT, DS and now I
picked up SG. Fpr many years I games alone, ythough I did get my wife
into the occasional wargame and even a miniatures Napoleanic game once,
which we had fun doingh. However I have recently discovered that where I
live, Connecticut, USA is a virtual MECCA for wargaming and I joined the
local club. In fact we just had a big CON, Crusades 98, where there was
a bunch of Full Thrust being played. So now I'm happy!

Los

Prev: Re: Sa'Vasku ship diagram GIF's Next: Re: Age and Complexity