Prev: B5 Spoilers ? (Was Re: Sa'Vasku ship diagram GIF's) Next: Re: Stargrunt II question

Re: Some FT rules ideas(Longish)

From: Samuel Reynolds <reynol@p...>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 07:26:56 -0700
Subject: Re: Some FT rules ideas(Longish)

>On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Earl D. Hansen wrote:
>
>> I suggest this for your ARM rules:
>>     -Yes, missile must lock on to an active radiation source, i.e.
fire
>> control radar.
>>     -Yes, it may possibly be armed with any type warhead, but I
suggest
>> limiting it to a warhead designed to destroy only the radiation
emitter
>> itself (the system). Because these missiles are designed for and used
for
>> blinding an enemy; his or her radar that is.
>>     -No, I must disagee with the loitering of a missile. It is just
not
>> believeable; they seek and destroy.
>
>I remember reading, a few years back, of an Anti-Radiation Cruise
Missle
>that would, if it's target ceased radiating, loiter in the area waiting
>for the radar to be turned back on again to look for the missle...it's
>neat idea: ARM incoming. Switch off radar. ARM can't destroy radar,
radar
>can't see strike aircraft/second wave of missles incoming. If radar
lights
>up to look, loitering ARM turns it off again...permenently...
>
>This would require missles w/ greater fuel capacity than most
have...some
>sort of Tomahawk-mod, in modern terms. In space, no feul is needed to
>loiter, really, so the missle makes even more sense...deadly, tho...I
can
>see people not liking them...

According to Newton, fuel *would* be required for loitering in space.
It takes fuel to slow down to loiter in the vicinity of the target, as
well as to accelerate again when the radar lights up again.

- Sam

Samuel Reynolds
http://www.primenet.com/~reynol
reynol@primenet.com

Prev: B5 Spoilers ? (Was Re: Sa'Vasku ship diagram GIF's) Next: Re: Stargrunt II question