Prev: Dragon Twins - New Kyoto Blockade Next: Re: Filker

Re: HELP NEEDED FROM OVERSEAS LIST MEMBERS!

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 22:31:33 +1000
Subject: Re: HELP NEEDED FROM OVERSEAS LIST MEMBERS!

Ground Zero Games wrote:

> Space Navy/Space Fleet/Space Force (whatever term would be most likely
> be used in the given language)
>
> plus any translations of ship type names (Cruiser, Destroyer,
Battleship
> etc.) and Naval Ranks (officers and ratings) from the relevant
national
> navies (ie: present-day counterparts).
>
> I need these in a) German, for the NSL;

> If anyone can help with any of these, I'd be very grateful; please
note
> that I need them to be as "correct" as possible, so ideally they need
to be
> from native speakers or at least someone very fluent - I don't need
just
> literal translations, but need to know what words/phrases a native
speaker
> would use.
>
> Please either email them to me personally if you're sure about the
> translations, or to the list (if no-one objects) if you want other
members'
> opinions on them first!

In der ehmahlige zeit wahr ich Ingeneur, mitarbeiter fuer Krupp-Atlas
Elektronik GmbH....

In former times, I was an Engineer, an employee of Krupp-Atlas
Elektronik Company Limited.

No, I'm not a native German speaker, but picked up a fair bit of the
lingo. I worked extensively with ex-Leutnants usw. And of course, even
_I_ could understand the argot of "Raumschiff Enterprise"... "Scotti,
Beamen mir zuruck!"

I also have a number of contacts - email addresses - of ex- and serving
members of the Bundesmarine.

I can also help a little with Russki. At one time, it was -ah- useful
for me to know Naval technical terms of the
Navy-formerly-known-as-Soviet. Things like Bolshoi
Protiivolodochniikorabl (Large Anti-Submarine-Vessel) and Raketny
Kreyser (Rocket Cruiser).

German is surprisingly easy. Just agglutinate. Hence the old joke, the
archetypical "I was there" from der Zwitte Weltkrieg (the Second
Worldwar):- "Wenn ich
geheimforschungsvergeltungsunterseeboatfleugzeugtraeger matrose war" or:
"If I (a) secret-research-retaliation-submarine-aircraft-carrier sailor
was".

BTW it's becoming official: instead of the o-mit-umelaut usw (the o with
two dots above it etc) it's now "officially sanctioned" by the Beamters
(Beaureaucrats) to have oe instead. Hence "traeger" instead of "trager",
"fuer" instead of "fur".

 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Dragon Twins - New Kyoto Blockade Next: Re: Filker