Prev: How a minature should look Next: Re: B5P/EFS conversion to FT2 (long)

RE: How a minature should look

From: Tim Jones <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 11:30:33 -0000
Subject: RE: How a minature should look

On Monday, December 22, 1997 11:04 AM, David Maslen
[SMTP:david@binary.net.au]
wrote:
> Having said that. I have built a few model aircraft models in the
> past. Why don't minature makers build slightly larger, precision
> plastic models, rather than dull lead minitures that lack definition.

This has come up before, its the cost of the moulds and tooling required
for injection plastic moulding, something like 1000% more expensive
to produce the moulds. Manufacturing equipment is also much more
expensive.

Given the mini market is small compared to scale plastic kits - the
chances you
will cover the cost is too high a risk to take.

FYI - there are some plastic kits available from japan, see:
http://www.iac.co.jp/~hlj/pages/scifi/scifiYamato(Starblazers).html
But a lot of these are now out of production.

IMO a well designed/detailed  mini is just as good as a plastic kit.

Prev: How a minature should look Next: Re: B5P/EFS conversion to FT2 (long)