Prev: Re: Old Sathar (Star Frontiers) box sets Next: Re: Old Sathar (Star Frontiers) box sets

Re: Old Sathar (Star Frontiers) box sets

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+@C...>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 1997 23:41:11 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: Old Sathar (Star Frontiers) box sets

Excerpts from FT: 21-Dec-97 Re: Old Sathar (Star Fronti.. by Allan
Goodall@sympatico.
>The UPF ships paint up
> nicely (even after I hacked part of the heavy cruiser due to lead
> rot). They take a while, though, because they are just so darned big.

Hrm... how much of a problem *is* lead rot?  I didn't really think of
it, but I just popped open the three Sathar boxes to check, and they do
have some gritty... encrustation? on them.  Mostly it's just on the
Heavy cruisers, odd enough, and just on the forward bulge at that... but
it's there nonetheless.  (It's also not that bad, mind you, I can rub it
off with my fingernail and the metal underneath looks fine.  But if you
really need to lop it off, deep... erm.)

> I REALLY lucked out at GenCon in 1995. A place was liquidating a tonne
> (metric tonne, that is) of old TSR lead. I picked up 6 Sathar boxes
> and 6 UPF boxes, as well as a bunch of blister packs. A dozen boxed
> sets cost a total of US$20...

Luck-keeeeeeeeee....

> As a side note, does anyone have any suggestions for conversions or
> different figure lines to add to the UPF and Sathar fleets?

Well, it's not likely to help much, but the Grenadier's Space Squadrons
line I got a while back uses rounded sections a lot... but they have
more the long, cylindrical feel of the UPF ships. <shrug>  At this
point, I'm probably going to combine my UPF fleet (I'd already found ~5
Frigates and 8 Assault Scouts) with those ships, they do look pretty
close.	But the Space Squadrons line looks to be older than the Star
Frontiers line...  and I am, unfortunately, unaware of any recent
releases.  But if you find any, please let me know. ^_^

Later,

		    Aaron Teske
		    Mithramuse+@cmu.edu

Prev: Re: Old Sathar (Star Frontiers) box sets Next: Re: Old Sathar (Star Frontiers) box sets