Prev: Re: A Full Thrust Font for Ship Design? (OFF TOPIC) Next: Kill Adien Stienke!!!

Re: 3 arc cost

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 16:59:59 -0800
Subject: Re: 3 arc cost

Samuel Reynolds wrote:

> >John Leary wrote:
> >>
> >> Greetings,
> >>	  I think that all involved in the mass/arc discussion are
> >> stuck in WWII with the big gun battleship.
> >

> Back to SF: I envision the ST phaser system (a la Voyager) as a
massive
> plasma generator with smaller trigger plasma projectors for the
various
> fire quadrants. The plasma generator builds up a "shot" of plasma,
> which is drawn off to the target "pickaback" on the smaller projected
> plasma bolt. As good a PSB an any I have heard. ;-)
>
> [snip]
>
> - Sam

> Samuel Reynolds
> http://www.primenet.com/~reynol
> reynol@primenet.com

Samuel and Friends,
     While I did enjoy the discussion on radio antennas, I would
like to get back the the problem.   Bottom Line: It seems that
a number of people do not think an 'A' Beam should be on an
escort or cruiser class ship.	The reason:  The 'A' Beam is
equated to the 12-18 inch gun of the battleships.
     It is now time to ruffle some well aligned feathers!
Fifteen inch guns were mounted on ships that displaced less
than eight thousand tons in WWII.
This may come as a shock to many, but it is a fact.

     Part of the problem is the way the ship classed are divided,
The size relationship between the destroyer and battleship was
not maintained, and the cost was not considered as a factor at all.
     This is a way to ignore reality and use the navy terms
in a sci-fi setting and not be bound by constraints the ship class
titles impose.	The game designer is then free to allow his and
his players imaginations run free to design to the ships they feel
will best suit the needs of the situation.

Bye for now,
John L.

Prev: Re: A Full Thrust Font for Ship Design? (OFF TOPIC) Next: Kill Adien Stienke!!!