Prev: Point system ideas (was: RE: 3 arc cost) Next: RE: 3 arc cost

RE: Point system ideas

From: Tim Jones <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 13:05:37 -0000
Subject: RE: Point system ideas

On Friday, December 12, 1997 10:45 AM, Alun Thomas
[SMTP:alun.thomas@cbis.com]
wrote:
> What do points represent ? My view is that they (attempt to)
> represent the combat utility of a ship under a range of conditions.
> (you can never do this perfectly, but thats no reason not to try to
> come up with a good system)

I agree and its why people like them, so they can balance
scenarios. SFB players will remember the dreaded
BPV (Battle Points Value??) values of the ships, its the same
idea.

> This suggests that we really have two classes of item: weapons and
things
> that enable you to get more use out of weapons (which I'll call
defences
> for the moment).

Offence / Defence - thats basically it

> To me this suggests that the point cost of a ship should be the total
value
> of its weapon systems multiplied by the total value of its defensive
systems.

I agree no byzantine formulae please

Offence * Defence = Points

follows the Keep It Simple principle.

> This would allow a more descriptive system, which simply describes how
> a ship is in combat: you can build ships with 50 A bats but only one
damage
> box, or with one A bat and 50 damage boxes. Or you could layer a
> construction system on top of this which could re-attach mass values
equipment.

> What do you think ?

It gets away from the problems with the mass system such
as hull size break points etc.

The only BIG problem is how to assign the points
to the kit. There is bound to be debate on this.
It can probably be done statistically using damage
points.

Offence - average damage points inflicted
Defence - average damage points deflected

You can describe ships from other backgrounds easily,
tot up what you see on the TV, guess at how relatively
tough it was and how fast it could go.

Does it solve the all beams are A - probably
not? But thats an attitude that can't be
solved by design rules. That can be covered
with background/tournament restrictions and
canned designs like the fleet book should help.

sincerely
tim jones
--
Reality is for those who can't cope with Science Fiction.

Prev: Point system ideas (was: RE: 3 arc cost) Next: RE: 3 arc cost