Prev: Re: Earth Force Source Book Review Next: Re: ES - Review wanted

Re: SV: What makes a Capital ship Capital?

From: "Chris McCurry" <CMCCURR@v...>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 16:14:36 -0600
Subject: Re: SV: What makes a Capital ship Capital?

I little late, i know but...

>>If there's a game master, yes. However, quite often there aren't; in
fact,
>>the only GMed games I've seen have been demos (or campaign battles,
but
>>then the GM has very little influence on fleet compositions). All
others
>>have been one-off encounters - ie, both sides bring their own fleets,
and
>>there is no GM. It is these battles that offer such temptations to the
>>"design-optimizers".

I my opinion if there is not a GM the game is played very differently.
The
game be comes table top war gaming as apposed to playing scenarios or
campaigns typically with out a "judge".

***Explaination***

*When two people bring their fleets, set down to play a one of battle
where
the players try to distroy each other this is a table top war (maybe a
bad
choice of words)  GW/evil empire/money grubber/tournament style game.

*The converse to this is inline with the old Role playing style /
campaign
based / story line following game.

The whole point is based on this different STYLE the game will be played
differently.

Table top / one off battles tend to need a balance where certain ships
and
do certain things but nothing as an advantage. Everybody is equal and
start
with the same thing. (GW  Of course in real life it never happens like
that.

Or, campaign style where balance means nothing (the realistic
alternative.
The advantage is how you win. (war isn't balanced) This style of game is
based on a lot of out side factors (i.e. where fleets are in the galaxy
/
universe <depending on scale>, technology level, intelligence <not
smarts,
but, information / where your opponent is so you can "jump him">, etc.)

So, when you play one off battles it's okay to "cheese" your just trying
win.  War has always been about who and manipulate the rules to beat the
enemy.	But, everyone knows in reality cheesed armies would never win.
All
escort classed ships with missiles (you run out of missiles)  All jet
bikes
vs. balance marine detachment  (you run out of fuel some time)...(GW)

My little less than half a nickel,
			 Chris

Prev: Re: Earth Force Source Book Review Next: Re: ES - Review wanted