Prev: RE: Anti-missile defenses in FT Next: SV: Tenders, among other things

Re: Anti-missile defenses in FT

From: Eric Fialkowski <erixlist@m...>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 22:55:18 -0700
Subject: Re: Anti-missile defenses in FT

At 10:45 PM 11/30/97 -0600, you wrote:
>With all the talk about missile boats, I was wondering what others
thought
>about the current state of missile defenses.

>Seems to me that missiles are an excellent way to go vs. beams.  If I
had a
>mass 40 battlecruiser, I could load it up with 10 missiles (if I didn't
>bother with shields or *DAFs).  If each missile did average damage
(let's
>say 6 pts each and 8 out of 10 got through = 48 damage points), it
would
>pretty much chew up anything it came across (considering a fleet
carrier has
>49 damage points).

That is a tactic that happens alot in the games I play.  Not only
against me
but by me, too.

>On the defender's side, let's say I've got a superdreadnought (with 40
>damage points) and an escort of two escort cruisers.  That's five ADAF
and
>PDAFs to defend the superdreadnought.	I might get 1 or 2 missiles if I
was
>lucky.  Result is a dead superdreadnought.  Then my missile laden
escorts
>take out the defenseless escorts... but that's another story.

If you expect lots of missile fire, a Nova or Wave gun works pretty
good.
Kinda sweeps them out of the way.

>How does stack up with current missile defenses?  (what are the odds of
>Phalanx hitting a Exocet or Harpoon?)

Real life?  Who knows.	In Harpoon, I believe it may be as low as 10%.
(Its been a long while since I've played.)

>Suggestions to deal with missiles better:
>1) increasing the odds of *DAF systems and C bats to hit missiles might
be a
>good idea. (hit on 5 or 6)
>2) allow ECM to affect the chances a missile has to hit
>3) allow fighters to attack missiles
I like these ideas.  Especially since by "tonnage" missiles are larger
than
a single fighter.

I have another idea.  Allowing missiles to attack missiles.  Or go the
SFB
(eek!) route and have anti-missile, missiles.  Maybe Mass 1, cost 4,
range
18 inches.  One turn endurance.  Destroys one missile or one fighter.
Or
for the insane (which is me and my friends) Nova warheads on missiles.
Still haven't fully play tested those, though.

   +		 Eric Fialkowski	       +
  +    http://netnow.micron.net/~ericski      +

Prev: RE: Anti-missile defenses in FT Next: SV: Tenders, among other things