Prev: Re: 27Nov97, Greetings Next: Re: 27Nov97, Greetings

Re: cm scale

From: "People who actually *do* things with their lives - next time, on Geraldo!" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 10:29:47 -0500 (EST)
Subject: Re: cm scale

>> '10+thrust' as starting speed? Huh. Well...what about setting the
starting
>> speed to be 8 for everyone? We generally have starting speeds between
6 and
>> 10, tops.
>
>Slow ships are dead ducks for missile salvoes. Anyway, it just wouldn't

>work.

Redesign your fleets to include anti-missile ships. And yes, it can and
does
work.

>If I have T8 missile ships (or somethign similar) and I feel you've
>limited the table entry speed too low, I'll just give the following
orders
>on the first turn:
>
>4L4 or 4R4
>
>And I will not move one single inch closer to you. Then I'll just boost

>away, gather speed, sweep around and enter table when I feel like it.
>
>Which results in the "off the table" problem on the first turn instead
of
>the second.

Ya know, Mikko, you've got a situation there, and a number of people
have
put forth a greater number of suggested reasonable solutions, however
contrived, to resolve the situation. But you shoot them all down for one
reason or another. Me, I would say any ship leaving the table is either
considered a 'mission kill' for the other side, or may not return to the
playing field for 1d6 turns, 2d6 if this is abused too often. Period.
Don't
know what else we can do to help you here.

Mk
---
If the conquest of a great peak brings moments of exultation and bliss,
which in the monotonous, materialistic existence of modern times nothing
else can approach, it also presents great dangers.  It is not the goal
of
*grand alpinisme* to face peril, but it is one of the tests one must
undergo to deserve the joy of rising for an instant above the state of
crawling grubs.
				       -Lionel Terray, 1965

Prev: Re: 27Nov97, Greetings Next: Re: 27Nov97, Greetings