Prev: RE: cm scale Next: FW: A conversation with John Leary on FTL Mines

Re: Scale - Units?

From: "Steve Pugh" <mafb90@p...>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 10:39:29 +0000
Subject: Re: Scale - Units?

> How far is a unit (1cm or inch on the table)?
> How long is a turn?
> What rate of acceleration is 1 thrust unit?

I worked this out once from the planet radii and orbits in More
Thrust. I can't be bothered to do it all again, or even to look up
the original text file.
But the units of length are 1000 km
And the units of time are about 20 minutes.

The units of Thrust are actually infinite! As acceleration is applied
instantly dt goes to zero and so dv/dt goes to infinity! If the
acceleration was applied over the whole turn then about 0.7 m/s^2

Obviously some intermediate acceleration would be more realistic.
I've always favoured 1 thrust = 0.5g
That makes Thrust 8 = 4g. Which military crews should be able to
withstand for reasonable periods of time.

> It's nice you can play a game without worrying about this stuff
> though.

Yep. No game with a hardwired scale could be used to game out Trek
battles (which seem to take place at mere hundreds of metres) and
battles from real SF backgrounds.

Steve

--
"Grab reality by the balls and squeeze." - Tempus Thales

Stephen Richard Pugh	 http://ds.dial.pipex.com/town/estate/ax16

Prev: RE: cm scale Next: FW: A conversation with John Leary on FTL Mines