Prev: Re: Revision Numbers - summary Next: Re: Unfair Kamikazes?

Re: Unfair Kamikazes?

From: "Chris McCurry" <CMCCURR@v...>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 15:26:06 -0600
Subject: Re: Unfair Kamikazes?

>>David Petterson wrote:

>>As for the kamikaze tactics, we have a house rule that you can only do
it
>>if you are on your last damage track, an attempt to simulate the "take
some
>>of the bastards with us..." gung ho approach that is so much fun.
Makes
>>for some very nervous superdreadnoughts when the little guys start
getting
>>rather damaged, also makes for some hilarious moments, one time a
thrust
6
>>cruiser was outmanouevered by a thrust 2 dreadnought.... however if we
are
>>running a campaign people are rather loathe to ram ships, better to
live
>>and fight another day.

I have to agree again with this game use of ramming.  Unless your group
is
playing a campaign or scenario, i think ramming should be a last ditch
effort.  But, ramming should not be taken out of the game totally.

>>J.Stephensen wrote:

>>I personally think that the games we play are primarilly for 1) fun
and
then
>>2) to win. When people seem to be so obsessed with 2) the game just
starts
>>to become pointless.	I think that the influence of the Evil Empire
company
>>has had a lot to do with this. I know that I much prefer to play fun
games
>>then really really really competitive games. When it comes down to it,
they
>>are just games.

again I agree, but, if you limit the players on what they can do the
game
then become just like GW games.  I left the GW game system, not because
of
the other players "power gaming".  there are always ways to take care of
that.  it was because in GW games your limited to their rules.	GW is a
tournament styled gaming system.  I do not view FT, DS, or GS as such.

In the group i play FT with we use a GM "game master" (like from the old
role playing games)  the GM arbitrates over the games to deal with these
type of maneuvers. (which they players wish to do something that is not
written into or fully explained in the rules.

>>Simon wrote:

>>This is one example but we have a guy down here in Canberra who
believes
>>that it is fair to FTL his whole or half of his fleet into your
>>deployment line.  It is a legitimate tactic but one of no thought or
>>style.  Is this tactic or rule going to be got rid of?
As I stated player should not be limited to rules.  so maybe rules for
FTL
in a combat maneuver should be added.  If some one wants to FTL into
your
zone what is the chance that he/she will be off target. it is possible
they
his new super dreadnought could FTL into your scoutship thus causing the
dreadnought much harm. (???)

The point is that FT seems to be based on Starship warfare as a whole.
so
if the game taken advantage of using a certain system or maneuver. have
realistic restrictions on those systems or maneuvers. but do not limit
the
"warfare" tactics and what not.  That's what FT is all about.

If you take a players creativity then you end up playing 40K style game
again. it'll come down to who can afford the newest character or who
knows
the rules best, BORRING!!!

my $0.02 again

CMC

Prev: Re: Revision Numbers - summary Next: Re: Unfair Kamikazes?