Prev: Bogey Symbols Next: Re: Bogey Symbols

Re: FTL Mines

From: John Leary <realjtl@s...>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 16:00:42 -0800
Subject: Re: FTL Mines

Brian wrote:

> The FTL rule provides a good opprotunity for an area effect mine.
Plant
> a small satellite with basic proximity sensors, IFF, and a one-shot
FTL
> drive. When a ship comes with in 6" and IFF does not recognize it, the
> FTL engages. All ships within the 6" radius take 1-6 damage.
> --
> Brian Bell
> pdga6560@compuserve.com
> http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pdga6560/fthome.html

Brian,
     Nothing personel here, I JUST HAVE AN INTENSE DISLIKE FOR
MINEFIELDS IN SPACE!
1) Lets face it, where/how do you hide a mine in space?
2) If you can hide a mine in space, the same tech that hides the
   mine from detection can be used to hide a ship from the mine!
3) Mines in orbit around a planet can cause a lot of bad PR when
   the mine falls out of orbit.
4) Consider the amount of mass that would have to go into a mine-
   field around the solar system (or even a few planets) and buying
   a few thousand superdreadnaughts is much more cost effective.

I have always considered the mines in 'Star Fleet Battles'
SILLY at best.	(I do not wish to imply that I have never used
one in SFB, just that minefields reguardless of game title are
SILLY, SILLY, .....

Brian,
     Did you get the message on the 'odd' Kra'Vak escorts, do you
require a retransmission?

Thanks,
John L

Prev: Bogey Symbols Next: Re: Bogey Symbols