Prev: Re: The Knights Who Say FTIII!(Was Re: Colony Critical Mass) Next: Re: Bugs, Mr. Rico, Zillions of them...

RE: cm scale

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 12:22:55 +0200 (EET)
Subject: RE: cm scale

Cutting short and straight to the chase...

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Tim Jones wrote:

> Thanks, how would I do that (check my connection?)

Try some other sites in Finland. Run traceroute.
www.clinet.fi and www.dna.fi are upstream from me.
anjara.dna.fi is a parallel machine -- if you get much
better response from there, *then* it might be something
I can influence.

> Which I haven't seen, anyway my cm games averaged 5 ships per side.

Yeah, that size battles work much better (whatever the scale).

> Some folks use the floor.

My floor is actually more cluttered. I'm not a poor student anymore,
so I can afford furniture.

> > >		     o Modify the collision rules to make clumping a bad
idea

> > This actually might work,
>
> It'll work.

I think it will result in one of two things:

a) The damage is too small to be a deterrant and nothing really changes
b) Some people start building dedicated ramships, and ramming
with wounded vessels as a standard procedure

Btw: Has anyone seen someone try out the "FTL-out suicide bombers"
strategy? I.e. take Mass 2, Thr8, FTL ships, start at max speeds
towards enemy. Order FTL out. Watch the enemy suffer. Mega-lame, but I
think it could work in a competition.

> Having longer weapon ranges solves this, I don't think it screws
> balance as everyone has the same factor and it stops the
> fly-by out of range problem.

Maybe "screws" is a bit too strong word. I mean it changes the
balance Jon put into the game, and it needs to be explored whether the
new balance is enjoyable.

> 20+ Play virtually then :-)

I just don't see having friends around for gaming and then crowding
around a computer screen...

Actually, as long as we played set scenarios, or smallish (1000pts or
less) battles, everything was fine. It's when we started the campaign
that people had a tendency to stick their fleets together for a
"major showdown".

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	  | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: The Knights Who Say FTIII!(Was Re: Colony Critical Mass) Next: Re: Bugs, Mr. Rico, Zillions of them...