Prev: Re: Frustration !!! Next: Re: DSII: Open topped vehicles

Re: Lightweight Fighters

From: "Dean Gundberg" <dean.gundberg@b...>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 97 10:02:21 -0600
Subject: Re: Lightweight Fighters

>  Lightweight Fighters
<Snip>

>>  All fighter modifications are available for LW fighters including
the
>>  'Heavy' modification (which results in a group of 8 fighters that
takes
>>  damage like normal but costs more).  A group of 8 LW Torpedo
Fighters
>>  can be dangerous if they get to attack but it should be easy to
knock
>>  down a few before they attack.

> I don't see the point of a Heavy Light Fighter - its just a Normal
Fighter
> surely.  Somehow you can fit 8 in the bay, what is the rationale
behind this?

That was my first thought but then I realized that Heavy normal fighters
are
still the same size as regular normal fighters and a bay still holds 6
of them
so why should a Heavy LW fighter be equal to a normal fighter.	Heavy
fighters
are the same 'size' as the base fighter type, just harder to kill.
Maybe
armored (or armoured :) is a better term than Heavy.  Thus 8 Heavy LW
fighters
would still fit in a LW bay.

> What are the Mass and Points costs?

 To keep things as simple as possible, a LW fighter bay of 8 fighters
costs
 and masses the same as a normal fighter bay of 6 fighters.  All
 modifications are applied the same way.  To balance the extra 2
fighters
 in a group, they are easier to take out of action.

> I like light torpedo fighters and have a vision of the Fairey
Swordfish
> attacking the Bismarck in 'Sink the Bismarck' (great film).

 Exactly the feel I wanted for LW fighters.

> I agree that it can give a different tech or racial feel, but at the
cost of
> adding complication. They remind be of Fairey Swordfish.

 Yes it will add some complication, but then almost any addition to FT
will
 add some complication since the basic mechanics of FT are so simple.
Any
 FT player who also plays DSII, SGII or an rpg should have some d8s to
use
 on fighter bases, and other than that, you use a modified results table

 when you shoot at the fighters with that funny d8 on the base.

 Thanks for the feedback Tim.  I have not played with LW fighters yet so

 they could be totally off base.  Numbers wise, they should be balanced.
 PDAF on average can take out .75 normal fighters per shot, so it will
take
 8 shots to wipeout a fighter group of 6.  With the modified hit
results,
 LW fighters are lost at a rate of 1 per shot on average, so it will
take
 the same 8 shots to wipeout a LW fighter group of 8.

 Dean
 <dean.gundberg@bcbsnd.com>

Prev: Re: Frustration !!! Next: Re: DSII: Open topped vehicles