Prev: Frustration !!! Next: Re: Frustration !!!

Re: Jovian Chronicles GZG Adaptation

From: jon@g... (Ground Zero Games)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 17:09:26 +0000
Subject: Re: Jovian Chronicles GZG Adaptation

>>You can survive even hard vacuum for some time (it's not nice and may
>>result in permanent damage, but it's survivable) -- patching a suit
>>should a be routine operation for trained troops. You don't have to
take
>>my word for it, ask NASA -- they've tried it (with monkeys I hope).
>
>So, just how long is 'for some time' in a vacuum? 10 seconds, 20 on the
>outside? 15 seconds would be a long time to chew vacuum, and you're not
>going to be in very good shape to do any suit patching. You'll lose
>consciousness rather quickly.

How long does the "airlock" sequence in 2001 last - a few seconds before
Bowman closes the outer door and hits the O2 flood valve? I'd assume
that
most military or heavy worksuits would have self-sealing compounds
layered
between the suit fabric to cope with smallish punctures. Alternatively,
there is always the system they use in The Forever War - where a sharp
sphincter valve on the PA suit chops off a damaged limb and seals
itself,
then pumps the casualty full of antishock drugs.... ;)

More seriously, I've thought before about doing a zero-G suit combat
game
on the outer hull of a ship, where each figure has VERY limited fuel in
his
maneuvering pack and uses vector movement.... could be fun, I think I
can
feel a rules set coming on.... :)

Jon (GZG)