Prev: Re: FT: Pulse Torpedoes vs. Submunition Packs Next: SV: SV: Pulse Torpedoes vs. Submunition Packs

Re: New Battlefleet Gothic? (was Re: Full Tilt?) (very much off topic)

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 09:25:25 +0100
Subject: Re: New Battlefleet Gothic? (was Re: Full Tilt?) (very much off topic)

Simon wrote:

> Small point, even though you may be able to use your old models in
E40K,
> the game doesn't work as well because they have redesigned all the
> scales based on the new base size.

Bullshit. The tank and AFV models are the same size as before, and the
old
2*2cm infantry bases actually work better in close assaults and
firefights
than the new 4*1cm bases. OTOH, they're a bit more vulnerable to
artillery.
IIRC the scales are the same as in Heresy, which definitely used the old
infantry bases <g>

> Next point, I don't think that you  are able to use the old miniatures
in
a GW comp, or > anything with GW sponsoring.  Down here in Aus, many of
us
older players have	> been asked to leave GW comps because our
miniatures are from the older years	> when GW was a company rather
than
a pack of .......  Just a personal view.

If they tell you that, kindly show them (or ask them to look for
themselves) the following references:

E40K Army book, p.6, "The Miniatures Range", 2nd paragraph:
"... Veteran gamers in particular will need to bear this in mind,
_as_almost_everything_
_they_already_have_in_their_army_should,_in_some_way,_be_usable_with_the
_Epi
c_ _40,000_rules_ ..." (emphasis mine)
E40K Battles book, p.17 and 33; the Eldar Dreadnoughts in the photos are
the old _metal_ ones - ie, the ones that were replaced by the plastic
ones
in the "Stompers" box! On p. 34 is a plastic Eldar Dreadnought.
E40K Battles book, p.103, "Infantry basing, Old vs New" ("...Veteran
Epic
gamers are likely to have infantry on the old bases but there is no need
rebase them.")
E40K Battles book, p.109, "Classifying War Engine Weapons"
 WD212, article "Green is Mean!"; all the Ork armies (owned by GW staff
-
you can't get much more official than that IMO) include old vehicles
and/or
conversions (...only one doesn't have any old stuff, since the owner
just
started building it...)
WD213, p.50-51: Kendal Kinrade's Dark Angle W40K army, including old
assault marine models (judging from the look of them, they are at least
8
years old... a long time for GW, at least)

So, for at least two GW armies (orks and Space Marines), the WD (which
is
the most official publication GW makes) has recently published photos of
armies using old models. If the shop staff argues against that evidence,
they argue against GWUK too.

There are no official GW shops in Stockholm (yet), but there is at least
one shop selling GW stuff only (and their tournaments do get sponsored
by
GW); the staff there have no problems with old models. I'm not going to
propose that I be allowed to use my Renegade Legion tanks (even though
many
of them are converted using left-over GW turrets or weapons) in their
tournaments, but they have no problem with my old forces (yes, I've
checked
with them).

It seems to me that the GW game designers and WD people are a lot more
sensible than the marketting staff... and hopefully the above references
indicate a turn for the better rather than a quickly suppressed
rebellion
:-/

Oerjan Ohlson

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: FT: Pulse Torpedoes vs. Submunition Packs Next: SV: SV: Pulse Torpedoes vs. Submunition Packs