Prev: Re: FT: Empress Arianna Tournament Update Next: Re: jee-uu and BattleFleet Gothic (was Re: SV: Full Tilt?)

Bio-Forces -- Was: SG2/DS2 help wanted...

From: Brian Bell <PDGA6560@c...>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1997 13:44:48 -0500
Subject: Bio-Forces -- Was: SG2/DS2 help wanted...

Jon et.al.
I am probably interested mainly in how non-human ground/atmospheric
forces
interact in DS2.
I have been using my own version of a bio-tech race in FT, but was
having
trouble thinking of how they would attack planet-side.

Realistically, it would probably capture survivors of space battles.
Genetically engineer a virus. And wipe out the population of the planet
that they are attacking. This does not make for a good war game,
however.

I also thought of insect-like attack species. Like the virus, this does
not
make for good games (your tank enters the woods and is attacked by
3,000,000 insectoids. You target a unit with APSW and kill it. 2,999,999
insectoids attack). For good game play, attackers would need to be dog
size
or larger.

Then I thought of dropping warrior creatures to act as warriors (ala
Alien,
Mote series, etc.). The main drawback of this is range. They can only
make
close assaults (unless they carry weapons leaving the bio-theme). This
can
be quite effective with the correct bonuses for anti-armor and
anti-personelle attacks). But only in close quarters. They get slottered
in
open terrain.

I also thought of huge armored attack animals (think dinosaurs, dragons,
Dune's Worms, etc.). But again, I would have trouble justifying ranged
attacks. (Spaceship sized creatures can probably store solar energy and
convert hydrogen from gas giants into enough fuel for energy weapons,
but
anything smaller is hard to justify).

I also thought of soldiers with bio-powered versions of the normal DS2
weapons. Again, this seemed to streach reality beyond the breaking point
(how much food do you need to eat to produce a 100 megawat energy beam?
How
far can you throw your quills?).

I also thought of insect-like attack species. Like the virus, this does
not
make for good games.

Jon, I'm not asking for details, I'll wait for BDS for that, but what
philosophy does the Sa'Vasku use for Ground Forces. One of the above or
something that I have not thought of?

Other DS2 players please comment also.

Brian Bell
pdga6560@compuserve.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pdga6560/fthome.html

Message text written by INTERNET:FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
"BDS will (PROVISIONALLY - all this is subject to change) contain rules
for
Alien races in both games (our "own" Kra'Vak and Sa'vasku, plus probably
some other "generic" alien race ideas), a selection of scenarios and
force
TO&Es for both games, and some new and amended rules."

Prev: Re: FT: Empress Arianna Tournament Update Next: Re: jee-uu and BattleFleet Gothic (was Re: SV: Full Tilt?)