Prev: RE: FT3: Common to-hit system Next: What is FMA (was Common to-hit system)

Re: FT3: Common to-hit system

From: "Joseph A. Troche" <trochej@s...>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 05:18:39 -0800
Subject: Re: FT3: Common to-hit system

>While I love FT2's simplicity, I would like to see a common system to
>determine if a shot hits in FT3. This would provide a common method of
for
>armor, screens, and/or ECM to effect a shot against a target. There are
>three ways of doing this:
>
>1) Common damage reduction: This method states that you remove x number
of
>points from the damage inflicted. For this to work, weapons would need
>cause more damage. This may also cause ship points to be increased to
>offset the greater damage.

I don't understand what you mean by this.

>2) Roll to hit then roll for damage. This makes it easy to reduce the
>chance to hit, but makes you roll twice for every hit (and once for
every
>miss).

With this modification you are no longer required to refer to the game
as
Full Thrust.

>3) FMA. This method changes die type depending on condition. ECM,
screens,
>and armor would be combined into a common defensive value. Compair the
roll
>to the defensive value. If higher, you hit and do damage. Damage could
be
>equal to the roll, or have a 2nd roll. The major disadvantage to this
>method is complication due to different type of dice. It also requires
>asking what the defensive value of the opponet is (FT2 does that now
with
>level of screen).

Are the weapons really colorful enough to justify the added complexity?

>Each of these methods would also offer the chance to increase the
diversity
>of weapons.
>
>Comments Encouraged.

If you think of a name for it and need some playtesters, please contact
me.

-Joe

Prev: RE: FT3: Common to-hit system Next: What is FMA (was Common to-hit system)