Prev: Re: In defense of AOG and CE. Next: VB: SV: *** FS: Babylon 5 Wars Miniatures - B5WARS ***

Re: Miniature Cement

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 22:31:33 -0800
Subject: Re: Miniature Cement

Deeply in Love with Dot wrote:

> At 18:58 25/10/97 -1000, you wrote:
> >Here's a question I'm hoping the people on this list can help me
with:

> >I've cemented the various Full Thrust ships to their bases using
Inst-Cure+
> >(i.e. super glue). [That is, I'm gluing the posts into the holes
drilled in
> >the bottom of the ship.] However, it seems that this is a high-stress
> >joint, so I'm having to constantly re-glue the posts back onto the
ships.

> >Does anyone have any suggestions as to what glue/cement I should use
for a
> >better bond?
> OK, here's what I do.
>
> First off, drill a small  hole inside the hole in the model. Then,
drill a
> similar hole (I use a pin vice) in the 'pole' you mount it on. Then,
> superglue a straight piece snipped off a paper clip into the hole on
the
> 'pole. Then glue all that into the model with a bit of two-part epoxy
glue,
> steady it with some tape or blutack and leave overnight. I've never
had one
> break despite being dropped, thrown, stuffed in bags..

Great minds think alike, but I use 5-minute epoxy, and don't use
tape/blutack.

This technique is actually a lot easier than it sounds, and worke very,
very well indeed. Paperclips have just the right amount of toughness and
flexibility. The length I use is about 2cm, 1.5cm in the base, .5cm (or
more) in the model.

 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: In defense of AOG and CE. Next: VB: SV: *** FS: Babylon 5 Wars Miniatures - B5WARS ***