Prev: Re: Starfire ISW-4, was Re: The much Awaited... Next: Re: Starfire ISW-4, was Re: The much Awaited...

SAAB Carrier Scratchbuilding

From: "Michael Blair" <amfortas@h...>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 03:06:32 PDT
Subject: SAAB Carrier Scratchbuilding

I have two scratchbuilt cattiers with more than a passing resembalence
to SAAB's Saratoga.
Construction is simple and straightforward and simple, detailing is the
tricky part.

The top deck is the main structure, mine are about 1 x 5" of 2mm
plasticard. The kell is similar but narrower. I use Evergreen's styrene
rod for structural work, the keel is held to the deck by blocks of 1/4"
square section sytrene (be sure to put one in the middle for the
mounting hole) and the sides are sheeted in with thinner plasticard.
The bridge is made from various sizes of styrene strip. The whole is
then covered in thin styrene until one becomes bored with it.

Lead pellets from cut apart shotgun cartridges make passable turrets
while the bigger (4 mm) soft-air pellets (BBs ?) make useful sensor
domes.

The thicker sections must be cut in a mitre box with a razor saw but
these are fairly cheap and very useful.
A crude line art drawing below illustrates the rough section of the CV.

 +++++++++
   |   |

I should write these suggestions and put them on my web page with
photographs of the ships.

I hope this helps.

		 Michael R. Blair

Prev: Re: Starfire ISW-4, was Re: The much Awaited... Next: Re: Starfire ISW-4, was Re: The much Awaited...