Prev: Re: Map Sizes Next: Re: Cool Maps

Re: Low Tech forces in DSII/SGII

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 23:49:47 GMT
Subject: Re: Low Tech forces in DSII/SGII

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997 10:39:57 +1000, "Glover, Owen"
<oglover@mov.vic.gov.au> wrote:

>I could imagine some-one gaming the "Janissaries" type of world where
>you have exactly that. Romans vs H&K G3s and M16s.
>
>Still you would probably need to run the lo-techs in squads of 100!?
>Where are my old 25mm Hinchcliffe ancients?

After looking at this idea, for a Guns of the South scenario for SG2,
I came to the conclusion that either: 1) you'd need lots of the lower
tech guys, or 2) you'd have to change the figure scale for the low
tech guys. The thing is that primitives (or seemingly primitives)
would use radically different tactics than SG2 and DS2 simulate.

I suspect that you might be better off modifying a colonial type game,
like Soldier's Companion, where radically different size/quality
differences have already been modelled. Mind you, I intend to do this
with American Civil War soliders, which weren't radically out of place
in a colonial rules set. I'm not sure how likely this would would work
with more modern weapons on one side of the conflict.

Also, I think it might work better with DS2 than SG2, since DS2 is a
bit more abstract. This is just a feeling, though.

Allan Goodall  -  agoodall@sympatico.ca

"The secret rules of engagement are hard to endorse,
 when the appearance of conflict meets the appearance of force"
		       - The Tragically Hip

Prev: Re: Map Sizes Next: Re: Cool Maps