Prev: Re: GZG 2300AD??? Next: Re: house rules/offline

Re: house rules/offline

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 11:00:25 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: house rules/offline

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Todd Mason wrote:

> Ref house rules. Someone commented on the limited survivability of
small
> ships. We have the HR that ships with a thrust > 6 (ie 7 or 8) can
only be
> engaged with C beams, needle beams, submunitions and missiles. This
has two
> effects, it forces the bigger ships to spend some mass on the lighter
> weapons, and it allows the smaller craft an opportunity to close with
the
> enemy and get a few shots off before they are vapourised.
>
> Todd Mason

This sounds like a good rule, and it has a certain amount of historical
precedent. Big wet-navy battleships can't aim their huge 15"/18"/etc
guns
at small, fast vessels - so pre-ww1, ships had quick-firing guns along
the
sides to deal with the little torpedo boats and stuff that were popular
then.

It also makes the much-neglected C Beam more useful, especially if you
also allow C Batts to be used as PDAFs as well, as per the More Thrust
rules...

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)

Prev: Re: GZG 2300AD??? Next: Re: house rules/offline