Prev: Re: Are My GenCon Pictures on a Web Site Somewhere? Next: Re: Are My GenCon Pictures on a Web Site Somewhere?

Re: Map Sizes

From: "Geo-Hex" <geohex@t...>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 16:24:45 +0000
Subject: Re: Map Sizes

> Date: 	 Mon, 13 Oct 1997 09:49:54 -0700 (PDT)
> From: 	 "W. Nitsche" <bnitsche@u.washington.edu>
> Reply-to:	 FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
> To:		 FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
> Subject:	 Re: Map Sizes

> On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, Rick Rutherford wrote:

> > On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Geo-Hex wrote:
> > > This is not a push to sell product guys, but have you considered
> > > using one of our hexed starmats?	They are 4' x 6', have 1 1/2"
wide
> > > hexs and will layout on a floor or table.  Using hexs you can
> > > determine all twelve courses (sides and points) and by counting
over
> > > and down give the exact location and heading of a ship for next
time.

> > Sorry KR, but one of the reasons I like Full Thrust so much is that
it
> > doesn't have hexes.
> >
> > I recently went to a fabric store and got a 6' x 9' sheet of black
fabric
> > (cotton twill) for less than $10.00.
>
> I got a piece of 8'x10' black felt at a fabric store during a 50% off
> sale.  I also just finished a templete to paint on a hex grid on one
side
> with airbrush fabric paint (I used a different sized hex than
Geo-hex).

(bnitsche@u.washington.edu)
>	hobbit			Oceanography, University of Washington

We do special orders (the large mat in the photos was done specially
for Gully) and we can print 1 1/2", 2", 3" and 4" hexes on.  I try to
avoid doing both sides because of problems with bleed through.	See
if you can find a non-wicking agent for the ink or paint you're going
to use, craft felt these days is 100% acrylic or polyester and the
colors don't always dry or look the way you would think.  The dyes
used to turn the felt black will often stain all colors a greenish
tint (!?!) and some airbrush colors will completely fade away when
dry.  The UV colors we use were some of the most brilliant we found
that worked, but I had to tweak them quite a bit to make them work.

Good Luck!!

KR

Prev: Re: Are My GenCon Pictures on a Web Site Somewhere? Next: Re: Are My GenCon Pictures on a Web Site Somewhere?