Prev: Re: Dirtside Miniatures - take a look at these Next: Re: Newbie Ship Question

Re: Newbie Ship Question

From: Joachim Heck - SunSoft <jheck@E...>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 1997 09:50:46 -0400
Subject: Re: Newbie Ship Question

kritter@sbt.net writes:

@:) It sems that I read in Full Thrust somewhere that you could
@:) perform a slip by apply a movement order something like 1P1S.  Now
@:) I do not remember where I saw it, but I do remember reading it.
@:) It could have been in another game book entirely.

  I think it must have been.  I've pored over the two manuals pretty

closely and never heard of anything like that.

@:) Now it does state under MAKING COURSE CHANGES:, 1st paragraph,
@:) Full Thrust pg.6, "A ship making a course adjustment is _assumed_
@:) to be applying a sideways Thrust vector movement in that Game
@:) Turn."  Now it does not say that one cannot aplly thrust vectors
@:) to both sides, just that it is assumed that is all to one side.

  True, however, that same paragraph implies that the two-part turn is
actually just a discrete approximation of the continuous turn that a
real ship would make.  One could take the view that ships don't have
enough thrust to change their direction twice in one turn, and that a
sideslip would actually entail changing direction twice, while a
normal turn would only require changing direction once.

  I still like sideslips, though, and they are a house rule in all of
my group's games.

-joachim

Prev: Re: Dirtside Miniatures - take a look at these Next: Re: Newbie Ship Question