Prev: Point Defense Weapon systems. Next: RCPT: Re: Faster Than Light Travel

Re: Sa'vasku

From: Deeply in Love with Dot <jw4@b...>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:31:20 +0100
Subject: Re: Sa'vasku

>	 My problem with the Sa'vasku is that playing a large fleet of
them
>is slooooow.  And since the Sa'vasku are my largest fleet (lots of
Tyrannid
>ships...), and consists mostly of pretty small ships....  Well, things
bog
>down.	Expecially when playing with folks unfamiliar with the rules.
Plus,
>I thought that the Sa'vasu neede to be more...well, alien.  As is, they
Errrm.. at the mo they handle totally differently from any other ship in
the game. How alien do you want?:)

>seems to be a mere imitation of the Human ships.  A race as old as
theirs
>should have some more effective tech, in my opinion.  Inferior in a lot
of
>ways, in fact.  I've been considering the following ideas, although I
am
>nowhere near the point of actually writing them up....
No they aren't. They may not be technologically superior but what they
are
is very much more flexible than any other force. That flexibility is
their
superiority. Whereas Human/Kra'Vak are stuck with what they have,
Sa'Vasku
can have what they want in a particular situation. Tell me that's not an
advantage..

>	 First, build the Sa'vasku like any other ships.  They have
access to
>beam weapons, of all three classes (although with inferior range), and
have
>firecons and drive systems just like Humans.  However...instead of
shields,
>the Sa'vasku can absorb incoming fire.  I'm not sure of the exact
mechanism
>yet, but it would be a table similar to the reflex field, and will
cause the
>ship to absorb some, all, or none of a beam attack.  This will be an
>intrinsic quality of the ship, not an actual system.  Each point that
the
>ship absorbs will give them one die to play with, which may be spent as
>follows:
So the more you hit them, the stronger they get? Don't like that I'm
afraid. It would make for very dull batlles..

>	 1) Adding one die to any one beam attack.
>	 2) To give one free repair roll to any system, or to the Hull
Points
>themselves.
>	 3) To add one point of thrust, for that turn only, to the ship'
>capabilities.
>	 4) To grow drone pods.  This will be like using a Nova
Cannon--roll
>dice until you have the neccessary score.
>
>	 The player will be physically given the dice, and must roll
them
>when he wishes to use them.  Once rolled, it's gone. All ships will
have
>limits on what they can absorb--once they have absorbed their full
capacity,
>they recieve no protection.  Smaller ships, obviously, will be more
limited
>than the larger ships.
Naaah, still don't like it. What you will get is other players hanging
around waiting for the Sa'VAsku to get into close range them blasting
them
with everything they have in an attempt to overload them. Then running
away
for a while.  I think the system there is now - where you know vaguely
what
a Sa'Vasku ship can do but not with any certainty - is a much better
way.

>	 Something similar to the sandcaster already discussed on this
>list--a one shot device that blocks all fire (in and out-going) through
one arc.
No (background) reason why any Sa'Vasku weapon should be one shot..

>	 A short range EMP attack, that functions like the missile of
the
>same name.
Like an electric Eel attack? Interesting I suppose.

>	 A missile that does damage each turn after it hits (Roll 1d6,
and
>subtract the number of turns since impact.  If the result is less than
one,
>no further dmage.  Otherwise, lose that many hull points).
An acid bomb? Why not. Presuming it did as much damage overall as say,
an
SMB pack (which on average at first glance I don't think it does..)

>	 A weapon that does damage according to the mass of the
ship--maybe
>one die for every ten points of mass, or something.  The Sa'vasku
equivalent
>of the Nove Cannon.....
Some sort of bizarre gravity wepon. I like that idea. Give people reason
use smaller ships, apart from anything else..

>	 Just some ideas.  Workable?  Who knows?  Sooner or later, I'll
get
>around to writing up the rules.  Not tonight, though....
If you want a tester, I'm a known Sa'Vasku fan..

			TTFN
				Jon
'And I love what we are but I hate what I am
 And I wanna be like you but I hate when you're like them'
		   Maria McKee 'What Else you Wanna Know'
BWFC Fans List Home Page -
	    http://www.sar.bolton.ac.uk/bwfclist/home.html

Prev: Point Defense Weapon systems. Next: RCPT: Re: Faster Than Light Travel