Prev: Re: FT at MOAB 97 is ON! Next: Re: FT / DS2 /SG2 - Super Rapid Fire Guns

Re: FT / DS2 /SG2 - Super Rapid Fire Guns

From: Brian Burger <burger00@c...>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 14:22:00 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: FT / DS2 /SG2 - Super Rapid Fire Guns

On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Tim Jones wrote:

> There was an interesting article on the UK TV science programme
Tomorrows
> World
> last night about a new rapid fire weapon called Metal Storm. This is a

> multi-barrelled
> weapon that uses electronic ignition to gang fire rounds packed into
its
> barrels. It
> has no moving parts.
>
> The rate of fire is a theoretical 1,000,000 rounds a minute, but it
exhausts
> its
> amunition in about a micro second. The fire rate is electronically
controlled
> so can
> be 1200 (normal machine gun) or 33,000 (burp gun) rounds a minute.
>
> I don't think its quick to reload, as its muzzle loaded like a cannon.
>
> Its main application is in point defence where they think it can knock
out a
> tank round
> or missile in flight. It would also replace the claymore for static
area
> defence.
>
> As this is reality it would be interesting to add these sort of
systems to
> the DS2 and SG2
> arsenal. It certainly supercedes the anti-infantry claymore type
strips
> proposed in
> the rule book and would easily take out a GMS missile or buzz-bomb.
>
> For FT this system could also be deployed to produce a cloud of slugs
for
> defensive purposes or scaled up to produce a devastating close range
kinetic
> weapon.
>
> sincerely
> tim jones
> --
> The stars are matter, we're matter, it doesn't matter

Sounds like a viable real-world PDS system is closer than I'd thought.
The
problem with PDSs is not really volume of fire, but where to aim that
fire
- you need to find, lock onto and destroy the shell/missle in the few
seconds between it firing and it hitting you...not easy...

In a related note, a friend mentioned seeing a Hammer's Slammers-type
power gun posted here once. Does anyone have the stats for it saved, and
could you repost it or email it direct to me?

Brian (burger00@camosun.bc.ca)

Prev: Re: FT at MOAB 97 is ON! Next: Re: FT / DS2 /SG2 - Super Rapid Fire Guns