Prev: Re: Asteroids Next: Re: FT at MOAB 97 is ON!

FT / DS2 /SG2 - Super Rapid Fire Guns

From: Tim Jones <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 10:58:29 +0100
Subject: FT / DS2 /SG2 - Super Rapid Fire Guns

There was an interesting article on the UK TV science programme
Tomorrows
World
last night about a new rapid fire weapon called Metal Storm. This is a
multi-barrelled
weapon that uses electronic ignition to gang fire rounds packed into its

barrels. It
has no moving parts.

The rate of fire is a theoretical 1,000,000 rounds a minute, but it
exhausts
its
amunition in about a micro second. The fire rate is electronically
controlled
so can
be 1200 (normal machine gun) or 33,000 (burp gun) rounds a minute.

I don't think its quick to reload, as its muzzle loaded like a cannon.

Its main application is in point defence where they think it can knock
out a
tank round
or missile in flight. It would also replace the claymore for static area

defence.

As this is reality it would be interesting to add these sort of systems
the DS2 and SG2
arsenal. It certainly supercedes the anti-infantry claymore type strips
proposed in
the rule book and would easily take out a GMS missile or buzz-bomb.

For FT this system could also be deployed to produce a cloud of slugs
for
defensive purposes or scaled up to produce a devastating close range
kinetic
weapon.

sincerely
tim jones
--
The stars are matter, we're matter, it doesn't matter

Prev: Re: Asteroids Next: Re: FT at MOAB 97 is ON!