Prev: Address for getting Star Blazers Game Next: Re: FTL: ON TOPIC ADDED

RE: BIG fleets.

From: Tim Jones <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 11:10:16 -0400
Subject: RE: BIG fleets.

In message <Pine.OSF.3.96.970915151230.3496A-100000@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu>
"<Mark Andrew Siefert>" <cthulhu@csd.uwm.edu> wrote:

> Now LoGH fleets are
> BIG and are made up of hundreds or even thousands of individual ships.

I ask why bother? Just do what you do in standard figure
war games where one man equals 30 men. You play
with the standard rules and the figures are not 1:1
representational

The same applies in FT. Your cruiser represents a cruiser squadron
of 30 ships and you play as normal. The weapon hits and damage
are all taken as destruction to the squadrons firepower and
effectiveness. Its offensive capablity is abstracted to the
cruisers weapons. This way you aren't trying to bend FT to
do something it wasn't designed to do and your games don't
bog down and you don't need thousands of models. I really
don't see what you gain by keeping tallies of supposed component
ships - the abstraction already exists and has been done for you.

If you want a more visual feast - just use more FT ships or several
models to represent the logical cruiser unit etc.

The same applies to missiles - one counter equals a swarm if the
*DAF gets it the massed fire of the squardon managed to kill the whole
swarm,
if it gets through then they didn't get them all.

Its a thought anyway

--
Bug T

Prev: Address for getting Star Blazers Game Next: Re: FTL: ON TOPIC ADDED