Prev: Re: Faster Than Light Travel - Reply Next: Re: Faster Than Light Travel - Reply

Re: FTL: ON TOPIC ADDED

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 14:16:46 -0400
Subject: Re: FTL: ON TOPIC ADDED

In message <Pine.OSF.3.95.970915123650.8195A-100000@ccins.camosun.bc.ca>
	  Brian Burger <burger00@camosun.bc.ca> wrote:

> The problem I have with the 'every race has a different FTL method' is
> simple: laws of physics are universal.

> Unless you want to start arguing that, say, the Kra'vak radios work on
> different principles from, say, NAC radio tech?

What if Kra'vak are sensitive to radio? What if radio causes
intense migraines in Kra'vak? Kra'vak would then tend not to
use radio for communication - at least not at the frequencies
we might consider to be 'obvious'.

Our first message of 'we come in peace' was considered to
be an attack, so the Kra'vak retaliated. To bring in another
thread here, the Kra'vak aren't warlike and aggressive. It's
just that we always fire first...

(and yes, that was nicked from elsewhere, but I won't give
the source so as not to spoil anyone who might be reading it).

Anyway, to bring it back onto this topic, there could be
psycological or physilogical differences that make different
FTL technologies the favoured among different races.

Maybe the fengal-warp drive is fine for humans, but the slower
yankoofa-drive is preferred by the Jatravartids since the
former gives them severe space sickness. They may work on
the same principle, just differ in their implementation.

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.

Prev: Re: Faster Than Light Travel - Reply Next: Re: Faster Than Light Travel - Reply