Prev: Re: Faster Than Light Travel Next: Re: Ship/Crew sizes? (FT & B5 - kinda on topic)

Re: Faster Than Light Travel

From: Samuel Penn <sam@b...>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 14:54:47 -0400
Subject: Re: Faster Than Light Travel

In message <341969B5.4ECA@avs.com>
	  Andy Skinner <askinner@avs.com> wrote:

> Joachim Heck - SunSoft wrote:
> > @:) Aren't the effects of gravity supposed to be effective
immediately
> > @:) across distance?
> >
> >   Actually no, or at least that's what I hear.  Gravity is probably
> > transmitted by particles like the other forces.
>
> Really?  I thought gravity was just bent space, and bending
> space is just something mass does.
>
> How's that for scientific?

Gravity is more of a 'state' of local space, rather than
anything that can be transmitted (basically, a measure
of how bent space-time is by mass).

You do have postulated 'gravitons' though, which are
theoretical particles which are exchanged in gravitational
interactions. They're thought to travel at lightspeed.

Also,'gravity waves' are another postulated feature,
these being created by fast moving (relativistic)
massive bodies. These probably travel at lightspeed
as well.

(I've just grabbed those two from a dictionary of physics,
so I can't give any more info!).

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.

Prev: Re: Faster Than Light Travel Next: Re: Ship/Crew sizes? (FT & B5 - kinda on topic)