Prev: Re: Faster Than Light Travel (sorry, kinda long...) Next: Re: Stars (was: RE: [OFFICIAL] Background thoughts(Size of

Re: Faster Than Light Travel

From: Tony Christney <acc@u...>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 18:05:53 -0400
Subject: Re: Faster Than Light Travel

>Joachim Heck - SunSoft wrote:
>> @:) Aren't the effects of gravity supposed to be effective
immediately
>> @:) across distance?
>>
>>   Actually no, or at least that's what I hear.  Gravity is probably
>> transmitted by particles like the other forces.
>
>Really?  I thought gravity was just bent space, and bending
>space is just something mass does.

If you can call a 13(?) dimensional tensor(matrix) "space".
They call it "bent" because the geometry is no longer
Euclidean. The shortest distance between two points is no longer
a straight line.
Without a doubt, mass if one of the least understood phenomena
in the universe. The question being (if it has any meaning, that is):
What is mass?

>How's that for scientific?
>
>andy
>askinner@avs.com

BTW, while personally I find this discussion fascinating, I think
we are drifting off topic...

Tony.