Prev: Re: Faster Than Light Travel Next: Re: Faster Than Light Travel

Re: Star System Attack

From: "EPICS: Self-Guided Wilderness Tours" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 15:19:12 -0400
Subject: Re: Star System Attack

>Mainly, i was thinking an attacker would be wise to jump in WAY out
>of the system and attempt to Boost/Glide and use natural assets like
>planets or asteroid fields to mask his approach and course changes.
>Using a planet's gravity well to assist with course changes etc. Only
>when near a potential target would you light off the drives and
>radiate a signature. Most drives in RL radiate a lot of energy be it
>chemical or radiation (I mean how stealthy can you be in an ORION for
>instance) by USING a system's terrain for a planned incursion, an
>attacker could maximize his potential for tactical surprise....

I hate to put another damper on it (really), but in RL, this sort of
'attack' would take a reeeeeeaally long time to execute - on the order
of years or decades! Look how fast comets kick through our solar system.
They ain't puttin' along, either, and they can be affected/deflected
by gravitational influences (see also Shoemaker-Levy back in '94).
But unless you're making really close passes to your gravity well for
a boost/assist, the results will be pretty slow.

:-/

Mk
-
Life is an ever swirling, sucking, eddy of dispair, which is filled with
moments of false hope in an ever blackening universe

Prev: Re: Faster Than Light Travel Next: Re: Faster Than Light Travel