Prev: Re: Irregular Minis Next: Re: Star System Attack

Re: Star System Attack

From: "EPICS: Self-Guided Wilderness Tours" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 1997 17:23:49 -0400
Subject: Re: Star System Attack

T.C. writes
[...]
>What I want to know is why is it always on the solar plane? I would
have
>thought that jumping in over the poles of star would mean you could be
'in
>system'. The solar wind (Correct me please) is concentrated along the
plane
>so polar jumps would be safer

Solar wind is a pretty uniform thing. See, it's just a-radiating away
from
the star, and the star radiates in all directions, no one direction
moreso
than another (well, pulsars aside; we're talking your 'generic' star
here).
You can think of the light you see from the star/sun part of the solar
wind.
Doesn't diminish when looking at it from the polar regions vs the
equatorial
regions.

>(same with debris)?

Debris is another matter, as most mass associated with a solar system
will be concentrated in/near the plane of the ecliptic. However, the
amount of mass that is in the plane is *so* minute, it really doesn't
pose much of a worry or problem.

For example, take a dime (or any other suitable coin with a person's
face
on it). Check out the size of the eyeball on the coin. Let's say that
the
eyeball is...the size of Jupiter! Scaled down, of course. Now, place
said
coin in such a position so it is facing you - from 100 miles away. On
the
other side of the coin, oh, say, 50 miles away, is a basketball (soccer
ball, what have you). Now...try not to hit the eyeball of the coin as
you
make your way towards the basketball...

Okay, so it's a tad on the extreme side; I was just trying to make a
point.
That point being that while the debris is concentrated into the plane of
the
ecliptic, it is in reality not going to pose all that much of a problem.
Try
to avoid hitting the *dime*, then, if you don't like the eyeball
analogy. ;-)

(so much for not coming in nekkid, eh, Mike?  :-D )

In Hollywood it's a whole 'nuther ballgame.

So, use this for what you will (he says as everyone starts pulling out
'Dramatic License!' certificates for their games/scenarios  ;-)

Mk
-
ENEMY WANTED: Mature, lone, North American superpower seeks hostile
nation
for arms racing, third world conflicts, threat inflation, mirror-imaging
and general bellicose posturing. Must be sufficiently menacing to
frighten
more money from Congress. Nuclear capability preferred, chem-bio or
near-nuclear considered. Technologically backward, yet fierce applicants
will also be considered. Must be able to taunt, harangue and bluster in
local
and international media markets. Location: Earth, anywhere, preferrably
near
strategic petroleum deposits, major population or economic centers.
Please
reply with picture of chanting troops, tank battalions, atrocities,
screaming
fighters, etc, to: The Pentagon, Washington, D.C., U.S.A. Pre-emptive
attacks
welcomed. Please, no micro-cell terrorists.

Prev: Re: Irregular Minis Next: Re: Star System Attack