Prev: Re: Hex grids? Next: Re: Stars (was: RE: [OFFICIAL] Background thoughts(Size of Human Space))

Re: Stars (was: RE: [OFFICIAL] Background thoughts(Size of Human Space))

From: "EPICS: Self-Guided Wilderness Tours" <KOCHTE@s...>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 1997 12:50:04 -0400
Subject: Re: Stars (was: RE: [OFFICIAL] Background thoughts(Size of Human Space))

I wrote:

>I don't know of any lists that have been divided up into spectral types
>by distance. However, if you're feeling adventurous, find yourself a
copy
>of the "Sky Catalogue 2000.0, Vol 1, Stars to Magnitude 8.0". Within
you
>will find over 600 pages of information on the stars that are 8th
magnitude
>or brighter, including spectral type, approximate and/or estimated
distance,
>location in the sky, etc.

BTW, the distances used in the catalog are in *parsecs*, not lightyears.
You'll have to convert...  ;-)

(3.26ly = 1pc for those who don't know)

Mk
---
If the conquest of a great peak brings moments of exultation and bliss,
which in the monotonous, materialistic existence of modern times nothing
else can approach, it also presents great dangers.  It is not the goal
of
*grand alpinisme* to face peril, but it is one of the tests one must
undergo to deserve the joy of rising for an instant above the state of
crawling grubs.
				       -Lionel Terray, 1965

Prev: Re: Hex grids? Next: Re: Stars (was: RE: [OFFICIAL] Background thoughts(Size of Human Space))