Prev: [OFFICIAL] Background thoughts... Next: Re: United States Civil War

Re: United States Civil War

From: Donald Hosford <Hosford.donald@a...>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 15:07:39 -0400
Subject: Re: United States Civil War

Christopher K Smith wrote:

> ----------
> > From: Phillip E. Pournelle <pepourne@nps.navy.mil>
> > To: FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
> > Subject: United States Civil War
> > Date: Friday, September 05, 1997 4:03 AM
> >
> > The biggest problem I have had with alternate histories such as
> Sterling's
> > Guns of the South, is the lack of accuracy in the historical
analysis.

> Even though this is kinda off topic...I guess I will through my two
cents
> in.  First...I thought Turtledove wrote Guns of the South....maybe
not.
> I agree that there was no way the South could have won a military
> victory...It could have possibly made Lincoln and his generals
> look bad enough to cause the North to pull out of the war.
>
> Christopher K Smith

I read that book...Yes Turtledove wrote it...The south won because time
travellers from an alternate future came along, and gave the south
ak-47s, and all the ammo, and instant coffee/food packs they could eat.
They were able to make the war too expencive (on men/supplies) for the
north, so the north settled.

It rubs me the wrong way too...but the writting was pretty good.

Donald Hosford

Prev: [OFFICIAL] Background thoughts... Next: Re: United States Civil War