Prev: Re: Fleet survey additional Next: Are there any utils for FTMAP available?

Re: DS2 Targeting Issues

From: BJCantwell@a...
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 1997 10:19:59 -0400
Subject: Re: DS2 Targeting Issues

>  Hi,
>	I just came back from a weekend playing games at Pacificon, here
in
>  the San Francisco Bay area. In one of the DS2 games, it was brought
up
that
>  there are restrictions placed on choosing targets, and that these
> restrictions
>  purposefully conflict with 'optimal' strategies. If, for example, it
seems
>  better for a unit to spread its fire across multiple enemy units (the
>  intention is to cause morale problems, weaken their ability to
concentrate
>  fire, etc.), would this conflict with the rules, should it be
considered '
> bad
>  form' or against the spirit of the rules?
>
>	Anyone else take the targeting guidelines into consideration in
their
>  games?

I always use the targeting guidelines in games I run.  The guidelines
are
IMHO intended to reflect the fact that the grunt in the field really
doesn't
give a crap about the general's master plan.  His goal is to live to see
tomorrow.  Therefore he will identify the greatest threst to himself and
take
it out.  Often there is a strategically better target, but the grunt in
the
field is just not interested.  Various methods can be used to simulate
the
commander's direct control in target selection, etc. to allow engagement
of
important targets.  One idea is to use a system of communications rolls
allow the commander to direct fire at certain targets.	I often use a
card-based turn sequence, and when doing so include a number of cards
representing the command unit that can be used to direct fire.

Later

Brian

Prev: Re: Fleet survey additional Next: Are there any utils for FTMAP available?