Prev: Re: Stategic Thrust Next: Full Thrust on Computer !?

Weber/White Books (contains SPOILERS)

From: Tim Jones <Tim.Jones@S...>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 08:33:16 -0400
Subject: Weber/White Books (contains SPOILERS)

On Wednesday, September 03, 1997 3:38 PM, Rodrick Campbell
[SMTP:rcampbell@mail.usachoice.net] wrote:
> I just returned from vacation and I find my mailbox full of these
> "bad languge" headlines. Could we talk some games now, please?
Perrhaps
> spend our time and computer memory constructively?

I think there were a lot more about Cal-Tex :-D, I wouldn't dream of
going on vacation without setting NOMAIL :-0

>	Has anyone out there read David Weber and Steve White's
> Insurrection and Crusade? More to the point, what are some of your
> thoughts on the Theban's samurai sleds and x-ray lasers?

I just finished "On Death Ground", I haven't read Insurrection and
Crusade

SPOLIERS SPOILERS SPOLIERS SPOILERS

SPOLIERS SPOILERS SPOLIERS SPOILERS

On Death Ground

Its quite a good read actually but leaves you on the most dreadful cliff

hanger which is really really annoying as the next book won't be out for

another year yet.

The title is based on a quote form the "Art O War" AOW by Sun Tzu, I
couldn't
actually find anything remotely like it in my copy of the AOW?

Basically the humans are up against the Bugs, arachnoid, homicidal
(gourmet)
maniacs. They start off a bit low tech but quickly catch up. The actions
are
mostly all either missile duels with anti-matter or nuke warheads or
fighter
engagements. There is a bit of beam weapon stuff but its in the
minority.

The bugs come up with nasty gunships which are difficult to stop as a
resposne to fighters. It the later stages the bugs have anti-matter
kamikazes
and huge moniters, bigger than an SDN.	There are also lots of warp
point
assaults using SBMHAWKs, forts, ECM, drone spoofing etc.

The battles get a bit tedious after a while as they are a little
formulaic
and the every growing bug hordes make any tactical victories rather
pointless.
After the humans win their 5th battle against overwhelming odds, BUT
then
more
overwhelming odds appear, it starts to get boring.

Not a bad book 7/10. You get a lot of battles for your money, lets hope
the
follow up finishes off the thread.

sincerely
tim jones
--
Its full of stars

Prev: Re: Stategic Thrust Next: Full Thrust on Computer !?